Big win for the lionsSat 01 Dec

Leighton Buzzard travelled to Webb Ellis Road for what was a must win game for both sides. Lions kicked off towards the score board end and the early passages of play were very scrappy with handling errors from both sides.

Daniel Parrington, who started at full back, fielded a clearance kick deep in his own half and chipped ahead. He stripped the ball from the visiting number eight on the floor and Andy Morrison picked up and streaked down the line in front of the clubhouse. He was tackled ten metres out but slipped the ball to Parrington who dived over in the corner. The conversion was missed but Lions were up and running, although the handling errors persisted.

Kris McFedries who was playing at fly half, then combined beautifully with Dave Weston to loop round and speed down the touch line in front of the shed. Parrington was again on hand to take the pass and crash over in the corner. The difficult conversion was missed to leave the Lions ten points up. The visitors responded well to put pressure on the Lion's defence, and this was found wanting somewhat when following a series of drives, Leighton Buzzard's centre ran a good line to touch down unopposed near the uprights for a converted try and reduce Lion's advantage at half time to just three points.

A strong run from Martin Wood was supported by Daniel Parrington who in turn offloaded to Ben Davison on the left wing, but the danger was halted on the five metre line and the ball hoofed up field. Dave Weston collected the ball and following several phases of play the ball was shipped down the back line and a lovely inside pass by Weston resulted in wing Louis Smith scoring his first try in a Lion's shirt. The conversion attempt failed, to leave the home side twelve points ahead.

Straight from the restart, Leighton Buzzard were penalised for pulling down a maul which led to a bout of argy bargee and the visiting prop was shown a yellow card. From the resulting penalty and lineout, a strong rolling maul crossed the line for what looked like a try. The referee, however, deemed the ball to be held up. Lions were not to be denied however, and another strong run by Andy Morrison was just held up short. The ball was switched right, and Martin Wood appeared in the outside centre position to dive over in the corner for the all important bonus point try. The difficult  conversion attempt failed to find the target.

At this stage Lions were dominating possession and keeping the visitors pinned deep into their own half. The pressure eventually told and Lion's fifth try came following some lovely back's play with Louis Moult claiming the try. Dave Weston's conversion attempt hit the upright, but the vital win was secure and the five points in the bag. A huge win for Rugby, and with the team having a more settled look, more will surely follow.


Next week Lions make the short trip to Lutterworth to complete the first round of league fixtures.

Start time is 2.15pm.


Final score:-   Rugby Lions 25  Leighton Buzzard 7


View All Results

Change The Background

Dark Grey
Red & Black
Grey & Black
White & Black