Big performance by the LionsSat 09 Dec

Following a disappointing string of results, Rugby welcomed Hereford to Webb Ellis Road who were now only a point behind them in the league. On a bitterly cold day, with the pitch only just passed fit for play, Hereford were first to trouble the scorers. Rugby were awarded a penalty on their 22 but this decision was reversed due to backchat and the visitors took full advantage to score a try in the left corner. Hereford appeared to have left their kicking tee at home as the drop-kick conversion attempt was missed.

Lion’s pack were beginning to gain the upper hand, and the pressure eventually told when Alex Tansley followed up a quick tap and charge from Sam Herrington. Weston added the extra points to put Lions in front. Lion’s lineout was working much better this week, and fly half Callum Wheatley spotted a gap and looked certain to score. He was somehow stopped a metre short but the supporting Sam Herrington is lethal from that distance and dived over near the uprights. Dave Weston again slotted the conversion. Lions continued to dominate although Hereford just about held out until Dave Weston added a penalty to extend the lead to 17-5 at the half time whistle.

The second half began in a similar fashion with a trade mark catch and drive resulting in a second try for Sam Herrington, converted by Weston. Hereford were soon down to ten men for ten minutes following a high tackle by their hooker on Sam James, but Lions were unable to capitalise on their numerical advantage. New signing Scott Truslove had started the second half for Rugby and looks to be a welcome speedy addition to the Lion’s back line, and it was he who scored a superb try to secure the bonus point and make the victory secure.

A quick tap and run by Daniel Parrington resulted in another high tackle, and with advantage being played, Alex Tansley stormed through from the visitor’s 22 only to be held a metre short of the line. He got up and collected the ball from the resulting ruck and this time no one would stop him. Again Weston converted to make the score 38-5.

Hereford were not done yet, however, and scored a nice try near the uprights, despite claims of obstruction by the Lion’s players. They seemed to sense the possibility of the try bonus point at this stage and to their credit they were looking dangerous and running everything. Some weak tackling helped their cause, and they were soon on the scoreboard again with another well-worked try. The momentum was now firmly in Hereford’s favour and they were going all out for their fourth try. Lions just about held them out to deny the visitors a try bonus point.

A much-improved performance by the Lion’s and a much-needed victory to halt the recent run of defeats.


Next week the Lions visit Melbourne for a 2:15 kick-off.


Final score:-   Rugby Lions 38  Hereford 15

View All Results

Change The Background

Dark Grey
Red & Black
Grey & Black
White & Black